Infertility is the condition incapable of conceiving, after one year of regular sexual contact without contraceptives. It is the problem that not only affects the physical but also abnormalities of both male and female partners. Both male and female are equally responsible for conception. According to Ayurveda, Sukra dhatu or reproductive tissues, sperm in men and ovum in women together unites for fertilization. Healthy sperm, ovum and uterus is necessary for conception. Herbs have been used for the treatment of infertility since at least 200 A.D. Using nutritional supplements could improve key physiological factors to fertility. Vajikarana is the important branch of Ayurveda which deals with sexual and reproductive health. Various herbs has been effective to improve reproduction.
Causes of infertility :
The most common cause of female infertility is ovulatory disorders like oligomenorrhea or amenorrhoea and immunological factor and the cause of male infertility are sperm production disorders like quality of sperm, its quantity and anatomical factors. Approximately 10% of infertile women suffer from unexplained infertility. One-third of cases, infertility is due to causes involving both the male and female, one-third due female and remaining one third due to male partners only.
- Due to poor digestion , lack of nutrition, nutrition does not reach reproductive tissue.
- Having sex by compulsion with a person whom you do not like.
- Eating spicy, salty and hot food increase pitta and destroys shukra (semen).
- Overindulgence in sexual activities leads to shukra kshaya. It may lead to clibya (impotency).
- By controlling sexual urges for longer duration leads to veeryaavarodha (Obstruction of semen) and this leads to decreased libido.
- Infertility can also arise when the reproductive tissue is damaged by infection or trauma.
- Some acquire the impotency by birth
Ayurvedic treatment is based on the Ayurveda concept of reproductive system. Reproductive tissue or shukra dhatu in men are produced after the long chain metabolic processes. The tissues are produced in both men and women naturally equal. In women it is converted as ovum as part of menstrual cycle while in men it is activated as Sperm. Ayurvedic treatment aims to keep the process of transformation of both male and female tissues to health condition. Shukra is the seventh dhatus after blood, muscle, fat, bone, bone marrow and finally shukra.
Ashoka (Saraca indica), Dashmool, Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), Kumari (Aloe vera), Guggulu (Commiphora mukul), Hirabol (Commiphora myrrh) and Harmal (Paganum harmala)
- Ovulation problems caused by PCOS
Latakaranj (Caesalpinia crista), Varuna (Crataeva nuervula), Kanchnaar (Bauhinia variegate) and Guggulu. Jeevanti (Leptadania reticulate)
- Pelvic Inflammatory disease :
Kanchanar guggul, Triphala Guggulu, Gudhuchi, Kutaki (Picrorrhiza kurroa), Punarnava
- Undevloped uterus or cervix:
Aswagandha (withania somnifera), Vidarikand (Pueraria tuberose), Ksheeravidari (Ipomoea digitata), Bala (Sida cordifolia), Samudraashok (argyria speciosa), Nagbala (Grewia hirsute), Shrungatak (Trapa natans) Yastimadhu
- Aswagandha (Withania somnifera) : For stress induced loss of libido and sexual drive.
- Jatiphal (Myristica fragrans) : It is best aphrodisiac and anti oxidant to improve libido.
- Kapikachu (Mucuna pruriens ) : It is potent antioxidant and useful for sperm counts.
- Argyreia speciosa : It has androgen like activities and posses tonic properties.
- Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris) : It increase testosterone improves sexual desire and sustains penile erection.
- Asteracantha longifolia: it is useful for impotence, spermatorrhoea, and semina debilities.
- Leptadenia reticulate : It treats sexual disorders like improper erection, night emission, premature ejaculation, Spermatorrea and functional impotence.
- Hibiscus abelmoschus : It enhance desire, sexual drive and performance
- Crocus sativus : It alleviate male sexual dysfunction
- Curculigo orchiodes : It is best Ayurveda vajikarana rasayana with antioxidant.
- Lactuca scariola : it posses sedative , nutrient properties and rejuvenators
- Shaileyam (Parmelia perlata) : It is helpful in seminal weakness