Ayurvedic massage is prescribed as it is one of the keys to longevity. Ayurveda an Indian system of medicine that is more than 5000 years focuses on the concept of holistic healing.
One of the major texts of Ayurveda called “Charaka Samhita” describes the theory and practice of childcare which is known as “Kaumara Bhritya”. This branch of Ayurveda shows dealing with health care and various treatment of diseases in babies right from birth to adolescence.
The concept of childcare in Ayurveda has the complete caretaking of all elements that could affect the health of a child. It outlines the health care measures from pre-conception to prenatal care from the mother to fetus right through the delivery from the baby’s growth to adolescence.
The mental development of a child is a very important prospectus of Ayurveda. The concept of Balagraha is to cure common mental and psychosomatic disorders through various herbal solutions that can affect children.
The herbs like Nardo (Jatamansi) and Rasana (Pluchealanceolata) are recommended in massage oils and bath water to soothe, relax and calm small children. Many oils can be used individually or with a combination of others.
The Importance Of Ayurvedic Baby Massage
1. It ensures proper blood circulation in the body.
2. It increases muscular strength and resistance.
3. It helps in building a sense and nervous system.
Massage Therapy To Stable 3 Doshas
1. Vata: Represents the symbol of air that is one of the three natural elements of the body. If it is unbalanced, then it can badly affect the digestive system.
2. Pitta: Represents the symbol of fire that deals with nutrition and metabolism. If it is Imbalance, it can result in anger and stress.
3. Kapha: Represents as The mixture of earth and water. It provides strength and the power of enduring. If it is Imbalance, it can result in overall weakness.
All above-mentioned disorders in three “doshas” can easily be avoided in children if proper body massage with every precaution is practiced.
The ayurvedic oils are used to improve the process of purification it penetrates the skin and balances the doshas. They have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties.
The massage oil is used to penetrate the skin making nutrients directly into the blood capillaries loses toxins and leads attached to the digestive tract for elimination. Herbal oils improve the digestive system, blood circulation nourishes the skin and works to balance emotions and relax the mind.
Best Oils That Can Be Used For Baby Massage
Massage oil plays an important role in the growth of the baby. The massage oil commonly used in Ayurvedic massage and mentioned in the classic texts are Almond oil, coconut oil, pure ghee, mustard oil, olive oil, sesame oil. These oils have special properties as well.
Take a quick look at the oils that are commonly used to massage babies. You can start massaging your baby with any of these oils. Try to avoid branded oils as it has perfume and other harmful chemicals that may be harmful to the baby.
1. Almond oil
Almond oil is a well-known baby massage oil widely used in India. It is known as ‘Badam Tel’ it is rich in vitamin E compared to coconut oil. It is very good for your baby’s skin. The use of almond oil for massage ensures soft and glowing skin.
2. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is considered as another best oil to massage your baby. It is widely used in southern India for baby massage. It contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties that help to prevent infection of the skin caused the baby’s skin.
3. Ghee Pure
Pure ghee is also used for massaging babies and is recommended in Ayurveda. However, it is not used on a very large scale but some family has traditions.
It is used generally in winter when the weather is too cold to protect the body against the cold. It is also used for various skin infections and diaper rashes.
4. Mustard oil
Mustard oil is another oil that is used on a large scale in the northern part of India. The people in this region also attach traditional values to this oil.
It is also used for massaging babies, in addition, elders do use mustard oil. Mustard oil is edible oil and is used in many food products in the northern part of India.
5. Olive oil
Olive oil is generally used in Western countries but now it is also used in India as edible oil and for baby massage too. It is rich in anti-oxidants with a good moisturizer and full of vitamins. Remember to use olive oil especially packaged for massaging babies.
6. Sesame seeds
Sesame oil is one of the best oil that can be used for massage. It is a natural skin conditioner when rubbed on the skin oil penetrates to the marrow of the bones.
On the way, it collects oil soluble toxins and takes them into the bloodstream to be eliminated by the body as waste. It neutralizes the oxygen radicals, which are believed to be one of the main reasons for aging.
It is used in curing sinusitis and other conditions. Baby massage can improve growth keep a sound sleep. For best results massage your baby regularly until your baby becomes a year or two.
Top 10 baby massage oil brands in India
1. Dabur Lal tail baby massage oil: it has shankpushpi, ratyanjot, and ashwagandha which helps to strengthen the baby’s bones as well as keep muscles skin soft and supple.
2. Mother Sparsh ayurvedic baby massage oil: it is made with ingredients like coconut, almond, walnut, orange, wheat germ oil, etc.
3. Himalaya baby massage oil: it is made with olive oil which nourishes, protects, and softens skin, and ashwagandha which improves skin tone.
4. Forest essentials baby massage oil: it contains cow’s milk, coconut oil, black sesame oil, and turmeric.
5. Mystiq living natural baby massage oil: it is made with virgin coconut oil (from coconut milk).
6. Chicco baby massage oil: it is made with a non-sticky blend of rice bran oil, vitamin-e, and glycerine.
7. Mamaearth soothing baby massage oil: it contains sesame, almond, and jojoba oil.
8. Mommypure baby massage oil: it is made with ingredients like sweet almond oil, jojoba seed oil, olive oil, grapefruit peel oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, calendula oil, chamomile oil.
9. Johnson’s baby oil: it is made with mineral oil, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e acetate), fragrance
10. Cetaphil baby massage oil: it is made with ingredients like Helianthus annuus seed oil, Butyrospermum parkii butter, calendula Officinalis flower extract, citric acid, glycine soja oil, tocopherol, perfume, etc.
Note: For full ingredients look at the labels of the products
Use the proper way to massage your baby or consult an experienced lady to massage your baby. In India massaging a baby is a tradition that came from generation. Basically, the grandmother is in charge of massaging the mother and newborn baby.
Note: At the end of the massage your baby will be slippery with oil. So wipe the excess oil and wrap it in a towel before bathing or dressing it. Now your baby is ready for a long relaxation. Make it a part of your daily routine and enjoy the benefits of massage for you and your baby.
Always use oil in its purest form or take advice from your doctor about what oil will suit the needs of your baby’s skin.